Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Why I didn't use Credit Counseling...

to get out of debt.

About a year and a couple months ago, I made the decision that I was going to get out of debt. The only thing was, I didn't know quite how to do it. I knew there was a Credit Counseling office a few blocks away so, on a day off, I went in.

I met with a gentleman who had the title 'Financial Counselor' listed on his business card. We went into his office, and for the first time, I told someone about all of my debt. I had explained to my mother some of my debt, but didn't want to overwhelm her with all of it.

When we were done though, I decided I needed to 'think about it' before signing up. Ultimately, I didn't choose to get out of debt through credit counseling, and here's a couple reasons why:
  1. I didn't like being charged extra - When I went into the credit counseling office, I initially thought 'hey, this is great' that is until the F.C. brought up the $30 month fee for using the service along with a '$50 1-time set up fee" - that's right they wanted to charge me $80 from the word 'go' to get out of debt. I thought I could do better. I did and saved about $500 in the process...
  2. I was too impatient to get the debt paid off - After doing all the calculations, the financial counselor found my debt to be $18,830.64 at the moment I stepped into his office. When one calculated the $560 monthly debt payment he suggested, I would be debt free by 'August 21, 2009' after only 40 monthly payments.
  3. I didn't want my credit cards canceled, just paid off - I knew from a little research beforehand that by canceling my credit cards I would not exactly help my credit score. SO when the F.C. suggested that by using their system they would effectively 'freeze' my credit and only pay on the remaining balance I became more concerned. Also, while in this freeze mode, the best interest rate he could promise me was around 11-13% - as opposed to 0% which I was shooting for.
  4. I figured I could do it myself - Ultimately, I just felt like something was slightly up when I was going through the budgeting process with the F.C. and he kept assuming my budget for different monthly things should be pushed upward because 'most people' have a budget of '$XYZ'. For example, as I look at year and a half-old packet, he had a category for 'work lunches' & a category for 'grocery expenses' that totaled $450 a month! Currently, I spend about $80-$150 monthly on both categories combined. But I guess I'm not 'most people'.
Given these as well as other reasons I just figured I wanted to get out of debt faster, pay less and have the satisfaction of knowing I had control of my life. I think I accomplished all of these goals.

Credit counseling is a great resource though, for those who just can't trust themselves with credit cards. One especially beneficial thing I did take out of the credit counseling experience was the importance of budgeting - The Financial Counselor did make out a very itemized budget of everything I was spending each month. This woke me up quite a bit and showed me where the 'leaks' in my budget were and what I could afford to cut in order to tackle the debt.

One thing's for sure, paying off my debt in just over a year felt a whole lot better than waiting three years & three months to get out of debt.

7 comments:

Single Ma said...

Paying off nearly $19k in one year is one helluva accomplishment. Congrats! I see no value in credit counselors at all. I agree with your approach - everything they do, you can do for yourself.

Reggie, the black kid with good credit said...

Thanks Single Ma!

Yeah, I didn't really see the value in paying someone else to pay my bills.

I have an friend who had just a little bit more in debt than me and makes almost double what I make, and She is still doing the credit counseling thing as far as I know. I have no patience for that.

Frank said...

I hope this article helps your clients who need to quickly raise their credit scores for the loan approval process or for the best possible interest rates.

How Credit Expert Frank Bruno Raised His Credit Score 40 Points in 24hrs.

Also your clients may be interested in watching Free Credit Tip Videos here

Pinyo said...

Reggie, I think you did the right thing. Why pay $50, plus $30 a month. I think the $30 is used for debt payment.

Reggie, the black kid with good credit said...

Thanks Pinyo,

Yeah I thought it was kind of dumb too.

InsertWittyBlogHere said...

All VERY good points. One other reason I didn't go with credit counseling is that the place I talked to (CCCS) required that you actually be behind on every card for something like 2 or 3 months (thereby proving how much you needed them - but really just weeding out the people who weren't completely desperate!) before they would take you on. Things were already bad enough, I wasn't about to get behind (more) ON PURPOSE just so they would take me!

Reggie, the black kid with good credit said...

Wow that is messed up IWBH,

Another thing I didn't like is how the guy was pressuring me to sign this form that basically said

1- I would sign up for credit counseling

2- My only other alternative to credit counseling was bankruptcy.

_ I guess it was that word 'bankruptcy' that bothered me the most. I had no intentions of filing bankruptcy in fact at the time I was kind of under the understanding that you had to own property (as in a house) in order to file for bankruptcy.

Sad thing is, I guess if you were somehow given multiple 5-digit-credit limit cards and say a Mercedes car payment, you could file for bankruptcy while renting an apartment - that would be pretty bad though - Yikes!