Friday, September 7, 2007

Dang it! - happy to have insurance though...

So I finally found that Insurance-writing inspiration I was looking for:

Around 5:15 this morning I realized that I no longer have a driver's side window to my car! I also realized my stereo had been stolen. To add insult to injury my dashboard is completely smashed.

I called the police, an officer came out around 6:00AM and took a report but found no finger prints. The officer did point out the fact that my apartment's 'safety light' as well as several neighboring apartments' 'safety lights' are out currently and this may have helped the bastards use the 'cover of darkness to get the job done. I think I'll be talking to my apartment complex about that very soon.

Then I called my Insurance company and filed a claim. around 6:15 - I was there after hours
service and the real office doesn't open until 7:00 AM.

I called the real office at 7:15 and they instructed me on what to do. I have to pay a $250 deductible for the damage.

I was soooo close to having 2 accidents fall off my record too. Most likely this shouldn't count against me though as it wasn't my fault.

This brings to mind the importance of insurance:

I used to think that insurance was just a scam ran by the state and government but now, after working in the insurance industry for a while I realize how important insurance can be.

Although I have to pay the $250 deductible, I will not have to pay the possible full $1,000 or more in total damage done to my vehicle.

I will also not have to worry (as much) about dealing with a glass shop(for the window) , dealing with a body shop (for the dashboard damage), & dealing with a stereo shop for the same.

My insurance company, will hopefully help facilitate this.

I don't think the full amount of anger has really hit me yet. But I can feel it growing.

I now want a new car - like my old car - with an alarm in it.

There are several different types of insurance coverages that come into play for different types of accidents. In this case, I will be using my Comprehensive coverage for this accident.

Comprehensive coverage - depending on your insurance company and policy - covers things that are not directly related to an accident. In this case it covers theft of my stereo and incidental vandalism as a result of my stereo being stolen.

Comprehensive coverage also covers - again depending on the policy - fire damage, deer hits, minor glass damage & falling objects aka 'random stuff landing on your vehicle'.

OK I think the anger is increasing now. And just the other day, I thought to myself "Wow, I actually live in a pretty nice neighborhood" ... time to think again.

2 comments:

Single Ma said...

Auto theft and vandalism happens in the best neighborhoods, unfortunately. Thieves don't discriminate. LOL

By the way you describe the damage, it sounds like the work of a bunch of tack headed teenagers. A real thief would have taken the radio with little fanfare. At any rate, thank goodness for insurance.

D.R. said...

I am glad for insurance but, I am slowly finding my anger.

You're probably right about the thieves - seeing as Warren Buffett almost got robbed at his house the other day. But then Warren is kind of a penny-pincher extraordinaire so who knows what his neighborhood is like. ..

I need a drank...