Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Article/News bit of the Week:

This week's Article/News bit of the week falls more on the Article side as it's a pseudo-article/blogpost from 'Stanley Bing' and assumed name of a business writer for Fortune.

His article How green is My Valley talks about how Money ain't quite what it used to be. One blurb that stands out is talking about a new movie 3:10 to Yuma....

"One line in it got me thinking. A Pinkerton, played by the gracefully aging, well-chiseled Peter Fonda, has been hired to guard a payroll shipment destined to be the target of the ultra-smooth and charming bandit, Russell Crowe. Someone is extolling the toughness and tenacity of the Pinkerton, who has been gut-shot but is still walking around. 'That’s why they pay them $18 a day,' he says."
Of course this movie is based in the past - 19th century to be specific - but, man - who in America can live on $18 a day?

About 4 years ago - A friend of a friend who lived in NYC at the time - explained that simply eating or even existing in NYC costs about $15 a day - STANDARD. Assuming that price has gone up in the past 4 years - and being NYC I'm sure it has...I'm glad I don't make $18 a day - the BIG BUCKS a century ago.

One of my goals is to be a millionaire by 40 - but by that time, will a Million really even be impressive? It might just barely pay the bills.

Speaking of 1 Million dollars, an article that I'll dub 2nd place for this week comes from -almost ironically- New York City I just saw on CNN.com (yeah, I really need to find other websites to view).

"A New York woman is so angry at Apple Inc. for lopping $200 off the price of the iPhone that she's filed a lawsuit seeking $1 million in damages.

Dongmei Li of Queens, New York, claimed the company violated price discrimination laws when it slashed the price of the 8-gigabyte iPhone by a third, from $599 to $399, within two months of the gadget's June debut."

I was going to say something derogatory towards Ms. Li but, given the fact that I don't have $1 million dollars yet - instead I'll say 'good luck'.

And Apple Inc. - In no way by saying 'good luck' to Ms. Li do I mean 'good luck' in the aforementioned case above. I mean 'good luck' in a very general sense and by no means wish to inadvertently wish 'bad luck' on the wonderful company that created the Ipod which I in fact happen to own... due to the fact that my father fits into the 'early-adopter' category and it was Christmastime around the time you came out with your wonderful video Ipod - OK I kind of got off track there Apple Inc & Ms. Li.

Let me just end by saying: Good Luck to you both & May Justice prevail!

No comments: